Saturday 19 October 2013

PPP 2 - 10 things from Level 4

This was the list I had made last year at the start of the course:


5 Thing I want to learn during this programme:

1)        Money – the monetary & business side of being a graphic designer as this is one of the things that you would be taught how to do so in the second year.

I think that I managed to work my way around how and where to use my money throughout the year but did find it hard at times as I was new to having to pay for printing all the time and methods of print and production, but would say that this year I am aware of this.

2)        New techniques – new methods and forms of print, as it is an area I would love to explore more.

I definitely think that I made use of LCA's facilities and trying new methods and techniques of production, such as spot varnishing, letter press, screenpriniting.

3)        How to protect work – again linking back to the business side of things, how to copyright and protect intellect property.

This is one of the things which we are still to learn which I think we will look more into this year.

4)        New ways of using type – the theory and basics of using typography.

The first few months where a lot of the work we were doing was to do with typography which I thought was fundamental as I had learnt the basics and some advance things about how type works and the technical side of it, such as when we had to cut up and make new fonts.

5)        The fundamentals of Graphic Design – the ins and outs of graphic design.

This one thinking about it now will be ongoing as there is still so much theory that we have not done yet, but I obviously now have much more of an insight into graphic design than I did before LCA.

5 things I want to improve during this Programme:

1)        Time management

Like I had said with money, this is another thing which I am more aware of managing this year, but am definitely better at doing than I was before I had started the course.

2)        Spelling/Academic Writing

I think that the Context of Practice module helped my develop my academic writing skills especially with things such as Harvard referencing and what tense to use when writing an essay.

3)        Compositional Skills/Layout

This was one of the things which I had trouble with last year but was very interesting and crucial to learn as it was a lot more complex than I would have thought.

4)        Adobe Illustrator Skills

The creative workshops helped me to improve my skills in all graphic design software, the sessions were really good as they went over simple things which really change how you would use design software.

5)        Use of Typography

Like I had previously said the first few months and projects were fundamental in helping me improve my use of type.